distribution of water on earth

distribution of water

Earths oceans contain 97% of the planets water. That leaves just 3% as fresh water, water with low concentrations of salts (Figure 1.1). Most fresh water is trapped as ice in the vast glaciers and ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica. How is the 3% of fresh water divided into different reservoirs? How much of that water is useful for living creatures? How much for people? A storage location for water such as an ocean, glacier, pond, or even the atmosphere is known as a reservoir. A water molecule may pass through a reservoir very quickly or may remain for much longer. The amount of time a molecule stays in a reservoir is known as its residence time. The distribution of Earths water. Click image to the left or use the URL below. URL:

textbook_image

instructional diagrams

No diagram descriptions associated with this lesson

questions

earth is known as the water planet. the oceans contain this much of the planets water.

a) 67%

b) 87%

-->  c) 97%

d) 107%

most of the earths fresh water supply is found where?

a) oceans

-->  b) glaciers

c) lakes

d) underground

which of these can be a reservoir for water?

a) ocean

b) atmosphere

c) puddle

-->  d) all of the above

the amount of time a molecule stays in a reservoir.

a) water time

-->  b) residence time

c) residence resource

d) reservoir resource

of the 1% of earths fresh water not found underground or in ice, 39% is found here.

a) lakes and rivers

-->  b) atmosphere and soil moisture

c) soil moisture and lakes

d) rivers and the atmosphere

most fresh water trapped are found in glaciers and ice sheets in

a) antarctica

b) greenland

c) iceland

-->  d) a & b

fresh water has no salts at all.

a) true

-->  b) false

a single water molecule may remain in a reservoir for a long or a short time.

-->  a) true

b) false

all of earths water supply is accessible for us to use.

c) true

d) false

earth is unique in our solar system because it has such a large liquid water ocean.

-->  a) true

b) false

diagram questions

No diagram questions associated with this lesson